Monday, December 15, 2008

Not Tagged, But...

Thought I'd answer these Christmas questions, even though I don't think I've been tagged, or is this even a tagging thing?
  1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper. Definitely wrapping paper. Ripping off the paper is such a satisfying base instinct kind of thing, whereas tossing tissue out of a bag is so rhino virus.
  2. Real tree or artificial? Gotta be real. Artificial is too artificial, kind of like Santa Claus, reindeer, elves, inflatable snowmen in the front yard, and plastic pink flamingos. And they're so hard to cut down.
  3. When do you put up the tree? Usually two or three weeks before Christmas, but this year I cut our tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so I put it up the first weekend in December.
  4. When do you take the tree down? New Year's day. It's always kind of sad to throw our friend onto the pile of discarded trees in the parking lot by the old Murray Library.
  5. Do you like eggnog? Yeah. With raw eggs but no rum. Well, rum might be good, but I don't drink it that way.
  6. Favorite gift received as child? A pair of used shoes for my poor orphan brother. And an electric train, a set of Tonka trucks (pickup, camper, boat), and a Schwinn 10-speed bike.
  7. Favorite person to receive gifts from? Chieko, because she always gives me clothes she likes, and she's the one who judges what I wear.
  8. Easiest person to buy for? No one. Buying Christmas presents for anyone is too darn hard.
  9. Do you have a train scene? Yup. It's next to the tree, on the other side of the Japanese nativity scene Sara gave us. It's like the one at Temple Square--the nativity scene, not the train scene.
  10. Mail or email Christmas cards? You can email Christmas cards? Why would you do that?
  11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? My dad in the hospital in Seattle when I came home from my mission the day after Christmas in 1973.
  12. Favorite Christmas movie? Sorry to be cliché, but "A Christmas Story."
  13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? The day after Christmas for the next year, but I don't really shop. I just pick up stuff throughout the year if I happen to see something appropriate. Otherwise I shop in the first couple weeks of December. But never on Black Friday.
  14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present? Nope. I might toss one in the trash, but never regift. If I don't like it, why would someone else?
  15. Favorite thing to see or do on Christmas after opening presents? Cook scrambled eggs and go to my dad's house.
  16. Lights on the tree? Definitely. If we didn't forget whether we turned off the lights, what reason would we have to turn around and go home whenever we head for a movie or shopping.
  17. Favorite Christmas song? Anything that is not playing on FM 100, which started playing Christmas music 24/7 a few days before Halloween. It made me want to skip to Thanksgiving and then right to January.
  18. Favorite place to go at Christmas other than home? New York City (Macy's display, Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, Times Square, M&M store...).
  19. Who is Miss Fanny Bright? A very large lady with twinkling Christmas tree lights pinned to her tush and who sat next to John Pierpont on a sleigh in Connecticut the night he was inspired to write a poem about winter. She was the reason the sleigh got upsot.
  20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star. Why would an angel be in the top of the tree, unless her parachute didn't open?
  21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning. I've never peeked and never wanted to know what a present was before Christmas morning, either.
  22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? FM 100 and 106.5 FM. And Joe Biden. When will someone tell him the election is over and he won so he can stop complaining about what has happened over the past eight years and just tell us what he's going to do for the next four, besides attend funerals of international despots.
  23. Favorite gift from a neighbor? Barbara Bailey's freshly baked cinnamon rolls. No one else should even try to compete.
  24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Cold cuts, date nut loaf, raspberry punch, and a bunch of little kids.
  25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I don't know; I have everything. Actually, I like pictures of grandkids; calendars; food; candy; caffeine-free diet Dr. Pepper; tickets to movies, symphonies, and stuff I haven't thought of; music (CDs or iTunes credits); clothes (hats, socks, shirts)... I could go on. I like anything anybody gives me.
  26. Who is most likely to be offended by this list? All my neighbors except Barbara Bailey.
  27. Who is least likely to read this? The service manager at BMW of Murray. He hasn't read any of the letters I've sent him; or he's just ignoring me.
  28. Favorite thing about Christmas? Christmas Eve, when I actually think about Christmas.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

The kids are excited to come for Christmas. It looks like Friday is the best day to avoid the snow so we will probably come then. Last night for dinner we were eating chili out of a can and for some reason I felt like I was eating dog food and I am now craving your "real" chili. *hint* *hint* p.s. did you read my post from last night? You are in big trouble.

5Kgoatgirl said...

Yes - they seem to have forgotten about Halloween and Thanksgiving...one day they will start Christmas music the day after school starts...YUCK!