Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bald Mountain

I took a little stroll up Bald Mountain today. I read a map that said it's two miles to the top. My GPS said just under 1.5 miles. My GPS said I climbed from 10,764 to 12,006 feet. It felt like five miles straight up.













This cow moose and her calf were crossing the meadow just below the Bald Mountain overlook.






















Plenty of spring flowers still line the trail.

































Even thistle is pretty when it blooms. (The flower, not the town in Spanish Fork Canyon that won't ever blossom again after it was flooded in the 1983 landslide, the costliest landslide in U.S. history.)















Looking west southwest from the top of Bald Mountain you can see Mt. Timpanogos in the hazy background. I include this because Sara and her friends were hiking Timp today. I waved, but I couldn't tell for sure whether they waved back.















My car is parked in the middle of the cars in the half-circle on the left. This is looking southeast from the peak (and zoomed in).















Mirror Lake is the largest lake in this picture. Can you see Janet, Jennifer, and Stanton camping? Hayden Peak is in the center top background. I think the peak to the left of that is A-1, but I'm not sure. Up and to the right of Mirror Lake is Blythe Lake. When they're biting, brook trout is what you'll catch here. Randy and I caught our limit once, but I usually catch one or none. There's no trail to Blythe. I like it because I have never seen another person at the lake. It's only about 3/4 mile from the trailhead at Mirror Lake, but good luck finding the lake and your way back without a GPS.















The top of Bald Mountain, I suppose like all the other peaks around here, is not solid rock but broken boulders and rocks. This little cliff on the Mirror Lake side is of the more stable variety.















This old mountain goat is still shedding his fur from last winter. In another month he'll need to grow it back.















The goat on the right isn't quite as shaggy.















How many mountain goats do you see in this picture? I counted eight. This tribe was hanging out on the southwest side of Bald Mountain.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mountain goats -- cool. I've only seen them from a great distance in the Uintas before.

Jamie said...

Did you find the missing hiker?

Jennifer said...

Hey you should have waved at us too, we were sitting at Mirror Lake wishing we had binoculars to look for goats on Bald Mountain.