Sunday, November 8, 2009

Beavers Have Gone to Bed

I couldn't help checking out the beavers near Mirror Lake one last time before the ponds freeze over. But it turns out I was a bit late. The ponds had just skim ice, but the beavers were tucked away nice and cozy in their stick and mud lodge.

But I did find some interesting stuff to see. Have you ever stopped here?
If you do, let me know how that goes.



This place even has its own road.



If you come from the Wyoming side, this lake is Trail Lake.



But from the Utah side, it's Trial Lake. Notice the Utah-side sign is faded and older, so Trial Lake must be the original name.



This is a pine cone.



This is a gnarly tree.



When I wasn't paying attention, this heard of elk came out into a small clearing on the other side of the beaver meadow from me. It's the same clearing two moose dropped into a few weeks ago when I was watching beavers. After the elk ate a bit, the bull elk hearded the cows up into the trees to the left the way a sheep dog might heard sheep.



1 comment:

Sara said...

I actually have a picture of me and my old roommate hugging that exact same bear at the nudist colony. Our old friend's family had a cabin right next door that we stayed at.