Saturday, September 14, 2013

When It Storms, Head for the Uintas

When a bolt of lightning exploded right near our house, I decided it was time to run up to the Uintas. Chieko thought I was nuts, but storms often produce some of the most interesting scenery. I also wanted to check on the beavers. When we were up there over Labor Day weekend we saw several beaver-chewed young aspens, giving me hope that beavers have returned to the ponds where I had watched them for several years, until they disappeared two summers ago.


This is the valley with the beaver ponds as seen from my East Office (if you go back a few years, I posted a picture of me sitting in this spot doing freelance work with a notebook computer on my lap). One of my favorite spots. In addition to beavers, I've seen moose, elk, sandhill cranes and a host of other small wildlife here. This is looking southeast across the meadow. 



And voila, a beaver was swimming from the lodge to the meadow below just as I arrived today. 



Here he is coming back about 45 minutes later. This is good. He didn't bring back building materials or food, so I don't know what he was doing for 3/4 of an hour. 



If you drive up to Whitney, you'll find this warming hut stocked with a bunch of firewood and a sign that says the hut will stay open as long as people take care of it. Makes me consider snow shoeing or cross country skiing in to here during the winter. 



Inside the living room of the warming hut. You can see the bedroom through the door in the back. That room has four sets of bunk beds, a desk and a table. 



The porch is a bit rickety, but all in all, the hut is well maintained. 



Many of the aspens have turned to yellow, but many are still summer green. 



You can see this mountain from the road to Whitney Reservoir. 



And these clouds were also on the Whitney road. 



The aspens are changing. 



I am fascinated by aspens. 



Some aspen leaves turn yellow, some turn red. 



Bald Mountain. 



This is the beaver meadow south of the ponds and looking north. 


No comments: