Sunday, February 22, 2009

Military Tanks Up Close

I had this great idea to drive out to Lakepoint after church today to take up-close pictures of some white camo military tanks that I saw parked next to the Great Salt Lake about 10 years ago. I think they were targets for Hill Air Force bomber pilots.













About 70 miles west of Salt Lake on I-80 is a turnoff to "Military Area, Lakepoint." After another 15 miles north the road splits to this dirt road to Lakepoint and the paved road, which goes another mile or so to a bunch of concrete baracades that you have to zig zag through to a closed gate (with no one to open it or answer questions on Sundays, apparently).















Even though the Lakepoint dirt road goes through a Hill Air Force Base explosives area, it is open to public vehicles. Just don't wander off the road.















Unless you come at the wrong time, in which case it looks like you'd have to wait while the military cleans up after itself.





















When I got to the end of the road, where I expected to find tanks, all I saw was this strip mine,















this mountain floating in the lake,















more trains,









































some cows, who weren't all that happy to see me,

















except this glamour queen, who kind of hogged the camera,















and this bald eagle, who also didn't like having his picture taken.





If you like trains, here's a short video of one. The previous train blew his horn at this spot, but unfortunately this guy was asleep at the wheel.


2 comments:

5Kgoatgirl said...

You don't seem to have any problems seeing cows. Maybe you should become a cow photographer. So what new Nikon camera did you get? The D300?

MAstle said...

Yeah, I don't know a lot of people who photograph just cows. Maybe that's my niche. I'd shoot just tug boats, but I can't find any around here. My camera's a D90. That's all I can handle. It actually has the same or very similar sensor as the D300.