Sunday, May 24, 2009

Spring on the Mirror Lake Highway

It's May 24, and the Mirror Lake Highway is open to a couple miles above the Upper Provo River Falls.













If you go, you might have to sit in the car for a few minutes while the hail squall passes.















And you should take a rain jacket.















The river is carrying a lot of water.















There are actually several waterfalls, from tiny to big.





















Later in the summer this side stream is probably just a trickle or nonexistent.















You would not want to fall in here.















This is the upper part of the Upper Falls, what you see from the main overlook.















There are more indications of spring here than rushing water.





















Most of the young aspens survived the winter.





















And they're starting to sprout green leaves in the lower parts of the canyon.






















You can see lots of greens and yellows if you get out into the meadows.





















I wish I'd paid attention in my botany class. Oh, wait. I never took a botany class. Too bad.















Did I mention the weather was a little wet today? A perfect day to observe flowers.





















Too bad you can't smell pictures. The evergreens were so fresh and wet and piney.

Don't forget to see my blog from yesterday below.




2 comments:

Jamie said...

Cool pics. The next photo trip I'm going on with my friends is to take pics of running water (not just out of the faucet, either). I can't wait.

Unknown said...

I went hiking today with a photographer from my ward -- it was very wet. Once we got to about 10,000 feet we couldn't go any further. And the stream was scary -- tons of water flowing down.